BA in Economics - Program Objectives
The Undergraduate Economics Program provides students with a rigorous foundation in economic theory and its applications. All students receive a solid basic background in humanities, sciences and mathematics. The economics program is structured to serve a range of interests. Students may concentrate on policy analysis and evaluation, follow a business and management orientation by taking courses in strategy, finance and marketing or an academic orientation by focusing on theory and mathematics.
BA in Economics - Program Outcomes
Common Outcomes of Bachelor's Programs:
1. Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
2. Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
3. Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
4. Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
5. Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes of Bachelor of Arts Programs in Social Sciences:
6. Develop knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in humanities and social sciences.
7. Assess how global, national and regional developments affect society.
8. Know how to access and evaluate data from various sources of information.
Program Specific Outcomes of Bachelor of Arts in Economics:
9. Provide constructive analysis of economic phenomena at the national and international level, and interactions between the two.
10. Develop an understanding of organizations and institutions in the society as well as their influence on the economy.
11. Recognize how incentives shape the behavior of individuals and organizations.
12. Identify “economic” problems and propose alternative models and/or design and conduct research to provide viable solutions using theoretical tools and/or quantitative methods.
13. Communicate problems and solutions to managerial and policy decision-making units as well as to lay audiences.
* Click here for detailed Economics BA program outcomes.
Economics MA Program Objectives
The MA in economics program provides highly demanded skills in economic analysis and policy for students seeking jobs in the public or private sector. The program also prepares the academically oriented student to excel in PhD studies. The first year program consists of a total of 24 credit hours in microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics. The second year presents two options: a Master Thesis plus 9 credit hours or a Term Project plus 12 credit hours from advanced elective courses.
Economics MA Program Outcomes
Common Outcomes of Master’s Programs:
1. Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning.
2. Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
3. Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
4. Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
5. Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
6. Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes of Master of Arts Programs in Social Sciences:
7. Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
8. Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
9. Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
Program Specific Outcomes of Master of Arts in Economics:
10. Construct reasoned arguments, synthesize relevant information, and critically analyze subject material.
11. Read and understand articles published in academic economics journals.
12. Come up with research questions about economic issues.
13. Construct a well-organized logical argument with clearly stated assumptions and hypotheses and, if necessary, be able to test or support it with relevant data.
* Click here for detailed Economics MA program outcomes.
Economics PhD Program Objectives
Connected in design with the Master's program in economics, the PhD program offers the student a solid training to attain scientific competence and conduct independent and original research, conforming with the highest international standards. Though the program is naturally academically oriented, its objectives include to equip the students who aim to serve as researcher in the public or private sector with advanced methods and ability to use leading-edge application techniques.
Economics PhD Program Outcomes
1. Develop and deepen the current and advanced knowledge in the field with original thought and/or research and come up with innovative definitions based on Master's degree qualifications.
2. Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction which the field is related with ; come up with original solutions by using knowledge requiring proficiency on analysis, synthesis and assessment of new and complex ideas.
3. Evaluate and use new information within the field in a systematic approach.
4. Develop an innovative knowledge, method, design and/or practice or adapt an already known knowledge, method, design and/or practice to another field; research, conceive, design, adapt and implement an original subject.
5. Critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of new and complex ideas.
6. Gain advanced level skills in the use of research methods in the field of study.
7. Contribute the progression in the field by producing an innovative idea, skill, design and/or practice or by adapting an already known idea, skill, design, and/or practice to a different field independently.
8. Broaden the borders of the knowledge in the field by producing or interpreting an original work or publishing at least one scientific paper in the field in national and/or international refereed journals.
9. Demonstrate leadership in contexts requiring innovative and interdisciplinary problem solving.
10. Develop new ideas and methods in the field by using high level mental processes such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving and decision making.
11. Investigate and improve social connections and their conducting norms and manage the actions to change them when necessary.
12. Defend original views when exchanging ideas in the field with professionals and communicate effectively by showing competence in the field.
13. Ability to communicate and discuss orally, in written and visually with peers by using a foreign language at least at a level of European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
14. Contribute to the transition of the community to an information society and its sustainability process by introducing scientific, technological, social or cultural improvements.
15. Demonstrate functional interaction by using strategic decision making processes in solving problems encountered in the field.
16. Contribute to the solution finding process regarding social, scientific, cultural and ethical problems in the field and support the development of these values.
Click here for detailed Economics PhD program outcomes.